Co-build with contributors, volunteers and nerds
Find contributors, volunteers, experts, and nerds in your Niche and ask them to contribute to your product.
Why it matters: Beyond the obvious advantage of collecting content, you end up collecting people into your Community. Then there are some use cases where information can only be crowd-sourced.
Whom to recruit: Contributors are likely to be people with expertise, time, and Labor but lack a platform.
- Contributors tend to be nerds who are looking to an open platform they believe in. For example: Open Street Maps, Wikipedia, WordPress, etc.
- They can also be professionals looking to signal their Judgment. For example: Collecting points in Stackoverflow, Reddit, Hacker News, etc. Often such platforms have a well-moderated Community that incentivizes participation through reward points and badges. For example, Reddit Moderators Do Over $3.4 Million in Free Labor Every Year
- Then there are doctoral students, researchers, professors, and policy analysts who contribute analysis to mainstream newspapers.
- Sometimes experts look to collaborate because of the production and presentation skills that you bring to the table.
- Another way is to look for underutilized assets of NGOs and think tanks, for example, databases and Evidence built up by researchers that have not reached the masses.
- Finally, there is, of course, monetary compensation.