I wouldn’t wish a custom CMS on my worst enemy
- Steve Jobs’ Pixar serves as a classic example, revolutionizing the animation industry by producing movies at a fraction of conventional costs.
- OpenAI’s GPT technology is game-changing for content creation.
In contrast: Many tend to invest capital in technology that doesn’t generate meaningful competitive differentiation. For example, are you investing in custom-building and maintaining a page-based content management systems (CMS)?
- Such investments tend to become cost-centers because they operate on the same indifference curve as WordPress.
- Eventually, investment drops and the it reflects in the quality of the product or they are completely abandoned.
- Vox Media invested millions in building a custom-built CMS and eventually migrated to WordPress.
- Here’s a great post by Frederic Filloux on Medium detailing how the vast majority of news companies have horrible products.
- Companies that are not technology-first, for example media, struggle to build technology.
- With the advent of AI, companies will be forced to decide between becoming compute-heavy or remaining compute-light.